Ontonagon County can offer your business a number of key advantages. It has a traditional forest product, agricultural, service, and tourism-based economy combined with regional strengths in education, R&D and high-tech entrepreneurship—plus a strong local and regional business support network.
The county is located on the southern shore of Lake Superior and encompasses one village and eleven townships. State and federal land ownership is 39%. The growing tourism industry is currently built around recreational opportunities in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park; the Ottawa National Forest; Lake Superior; numerous rivers, streams, and inland lakes; public and private campgrounds; and snowmobiling.
Ontonagon County can offer your business:
• Available manufacturing capacity with a skilled workforce
• A strong support network for business development
• Tax and financing incentives
• Quality regional education institutes include Michigan Technological University, Finlandia University, and Gogebic Community College
• A Great Lakes deep water port
• A prime wood pellet or other biofuel plant location (click for more info)